Friday, June 26, 2009

Delicious Sandwich bread


2 cups warm water
2/3 cups white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
4 3/4 cups white AP flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup of potato flakes (aka instant mashed potatoes)
1 Tbsp of non instant powdered milk
1 reconstituted egg white from powder

I got out my mixing bowl for the kitchenaid and put in the water, and sugar and powdered milk. I sprinkled in the yeast and let the yeast eat for a bit (about 5 minutes). Then I added the coconut oil, and then I forgot to add the salt! *facepalm* I put the powerknead blade on the mixer and then locked the bowl into place. I added the potato flakes first, and let them absorb the liquid then I added in the whole wheat flour (same idea, let it soak up some of that liquid) I turned on the mixer on low speed and added the rest of the flour in 1 cup at a time. When all the flour was in the mix, I turned it onto medium and let it knead for 5 minutes.

After the timer dinged, I took out the bowl from the mixer, and lifted the dough out. I sprayed the bowl with non stick cooking spray, and turned the dough around in the bowl, coating the ball. I covered it with plastic wrap and put it in a draft free place in the kitchen (top of the freezer) and let it rise for an hour.

I came back and punched the dough down and then separated it into two parts. I tucked the ends under until I had a loaf shape. I had my husband turn on the oven to preheat it to 350 degrees F, and put the dough into 2 greased loaf pans. I covered them back up with the plastic wrap (reused!!) and set them on the stove. Half an hour later, they were about an inch above the top of the loaf pan. I mixed up the egg white and brushed it over the dough with my hands. I plunked them in the oven for 25-30 minutes and took them out of the oven when the timer dinged. I then turned them out of the cutting board.

The crumb is light and fluffy, and the bread tastes AMAZING. We will see how it holds up in the morning in the oldest son's peanut butter sandwich!

No comments: