Thursday, July 2, 2009

Homemade Laundry Soap

A picture of me grating fels naptha soap for homemade laundry detergent.

Powdered Detergent

22oz washing soda
7.5 oz baking soda
8 oz OxyClean Free
10 drops of Essential Oil of your choice, (Lavender or Tea Tree Oil preferably)

Mix all together in a Jar with a fork and use 1/8 of a cup per load of laundry.

Cost analysis:

$2-1 box of washing powder(55oz),
$0.39-1 box (sm) baking soda
2 cups of the Oxy Clean Free (big tub for $5, it has 56 oz in it)


So about 80 loads for 3 bucks


It doesn't suds up so you can use it in your front loader or top loader, it gets your whites clean!! Good for cloth diapers too!



Sudsing version

1 bar of fels naptha (or ivory) soap finely grated or finely food processed
2 cups of washing soda
2 cups of borax

Use 2TBSP to 1/4 of a cup per large load

You can either leave it like this, or you can make a liquid.

For doing a liquid

Melt the fels naptha in 1 quart of water over low heat. Add the borax and washing soda. Stir until it is free from lumps Either put it into a bucket with a lid or a reclaimed laundry soap bottle. Add enough water to make 1 gallon. Let it sit overnight (it will gel)
Shake gently before use or stir before using
Use 1/8 of a cup to 1/2 of a cup depending on your water hardness.


This DOES have fragrance if you use fels naptha, but not if you use ivory.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Sadie said...

I grate my soap by hand, too! I used to do it in the food processor, but it totally destroyed it over time. Now I grate it very fine, mix in the other ingredients, then run it through the blender in small batches until it's a very fine powder. That helps it dissolve in a cold wash.

My recipe varies depending on what I have-- usually I use one bar of soap and one-half cup each of washing soda and borax. I use about 1 TBSP per load. When I can't find Fels Naptha, I use whatever soap I can as long as it isn't "moisturizing" or scented. There is a cheap coconut soap (Dr. something or other. I think it starts with F) that works really well, but the bar is quite a bit smaller than Fels Naptha.

Meli said...

Doctor Bronners?