Monday, May 18, 2009

How I got rid of Acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis (ANUG) aka trench mouth... ew

Gums that bleed spontaneously. Loose teeth, bad breath. These are all signs of something that has gone TERRIBLY wrong with the bacteria in your mouth. The bad bacteria has overrun the good bacteria, and this is not a good thing. The bacteria from your gums can invade other parts of your body (namely your heart) and can wreak havoc with your health.

Formerly it was found in WWII in the trenches but dentists are seeing a resurgence, especially in college students during finals week and pregnant women. Poor nutrition coupled with stress is a recipe for disaster.

My dentist told me a mixture to use, after my first treatment (which was painful and difficult, I had to be on antibiotics during so that my heart wasn't in danger from the bacteria).

1 part glycol, 1 part salt, 1 part baking soda.
He had me use this twice a day.

When I went in for my second treatment 2 weeks later, he said it didn't even look like the same mouth. My second treatment consisted of him looking at it and poking around and smiling.

The mixture is harsh, but it does get rid of the bad bacteria. It also whitens teeth, freshens breath and removes plaque.

I have made a paste with hydrogen peroxide, salt and baking soda. It isn't "completely" Natural, but oxygen isn't a dangerous chemical. I use it every few months as a preventative treatment now.

This is just something that worked for me. I am not a dentist or doctor. I am just someone who is sick of being sick.

No comments: